Tuesday, March 20, 2012

New Starts Finding Jobs



It does seem difficult in the current climate for new starts in the oil and gas industry to find a start with either service companies whether its coil tubing, wireline, slickline or well test to the drilling companies as a new start Roustabout or even a Roughneck with experience. I had a message from someone just the other day saying he will be doing his off-shore survival in a couple of weeks time and did I know of any jobs that were available. I always say give people a chance, after all we all have to start somewhere.
I think my advice to new people trying to get into the industry is not to go and pay for an expensive course like that but to keep putting out your cv and keep calling around a few companies. If a company want to hire new starts then the company will pay for it. I had that experience myself when I was starting out in the oil and gas industry 21 years ago when I shoved out my cv to hundreds of different companies and put my self through the then RGIT off-shore survival course. But of course no job was materialising and it took a great deal of determination and patience over the space of about a year and a half. Eventually I found myself in the right place at the right time, someone with no experience what so ever in the oil and gas industry, then so I found myself starting as a trainee wireline operator, which was the best thing that ever happened to me, which then went on to take me all over the world and then up to Well Services Supervisor/Company man. But even when I got that new start all those years ago, the company that employed me put me through the whole off-shore survival course again even though I held a vialid RGIT certificate and medical. So the chancer are the hiring company will probably put you through the same thing again so I do think its a waist of time doing it youself.
So if you are someone trying to start out in the oil and gas industry, I wish you the very best of luck where ever you may be.


1 comment:

  1. Hello Mr. Ross ! I want to talk something about this article with you . Please , can you give me your e-mail adress ? Or email me at mitza.ktalin@rocketmail.com . Thank you and waiting for an answer !

    ReplyDelete